Carson City, NV - June 19, 2020
Today, Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak announced that Heather Korbulic, Interim Director of the Nevada Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation (DETR), will be transitioning back into her role as the Executive Director of the Silver State Health Insurance Exchange.
As Interim Director of DETR, Korbulic successfully led the department through the launch of the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program, automated traditional Unemployment Insurance processes, and connected tens of thousands of eligible Nevadans to unemployment benefits. While Director Korbulic has made great strides and enjoyed serving in this interim role, she requested the transition due to threats to her personal safety.
“Director Korbulic jumped right into DETR in early May and immediately demonstrated her leadership and problem-solving skills. Heather's coordinated project management experience has benefited the department and the dedicated staff who work tirelessly to connect Nevadans to unemployment benefits,” said Governor Steve Sisolak. “I am so grateful to her for taking on this challenging project to make sure Nevadans were able to access their benefits.”
In the last seven weeks, DETR has:
• worked through more than 131,000 backlogged unemployment claims,
• hired new employees to assist the Employment Security Division,
• increased call center capacity by implementing a cloud-based phone system,
• launched the Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation to assist those who have
exhausted regular UI claims,
• launched the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program to cover independent
contractors, gig workers and others who aren’t covered by traditional UI,
• And continued to building strong relationships with state agencies to support the department's efforts.
DETR staff will continue to connect claimants to benefits. An interim director will be determined within the next week.