Apprenticeship Council Mission
The State Apprenticeship Council was established to administer the apprenticeship laws and regulations of the State of Nevada.
Effective July 1, 2017, the Registered Apprenticeship programs and the State Apprenticeship Council will transfer from the Office of the Labor Commissioner to OWINN pursuant to the passage of SB 516 in the 79th Legislature.
Often referred to as the "original 4-year degree", apprenticeship is a system of supervised training leading to certification in a trade, occupation or craft. It combines on-the-job training with classroom-related instruction.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To open to people, without regard to race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability or national origin, the opportunity to obtain training that will equip them for profitable employment and citizenship.
- To establish, as a means to this end, an organized program for the voluntary training of persons under approved standards for apprenticeship, providing facilities for their training and guidance in the arts and crafts of industry and trade, with instruction in related and supplementary education.
- To promote opportunities for employment of all persons, without regard to race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability or national origin, under conditions providing adequate training and reasonable earnings.
- To regulate the supply of skilled workers in relation to the demand for skilled workers.
- To establish standards for the training of apprentices in approved programs.
- To establish a state apprenticeship council with the authority to carry out the purposes of NRS 610 and provide for local joint apprenticeship committees to assist in carrying out the purposes of this chapter.
- To provide a state director of apprenticeship.
- To provide reports to the legislature and to the public regarding the status of the training of apprentices in the state.
- To establish procedures for regulating programs and deciding controversies concerning programs and agreements.
- To accomplish related ends.
If you are interested in applying to be considered to serve on the State Apprenticeship Council, please complete this short survey by clicking HERE:
Please email email@example.com if the survey link is not working and someone will get back with you.