EXECUTIVE ORDER 2019-06
ORDER ESTABLISHING THE NEVADA CENSUS 2020 COMPLETE COUNT COMMITTEE
WHEREAS, the Constitution of the United States requires an enumeration of the population every ten years to apportion congressional representation among the states;
WHEREAS, a complete and accurate count of Nevada's population is essential to the State as the census count determines congressional representation, state redistricting, and federal formula grant allocations until the next decennial census is taken;
WHEREAS, Nevada and its local jurisdictions utilize census data to provide descriptions of the social and economic characteristics of geographic areas and population groups to determine those areas and groups’ funding needs for infrastructure projects, economic development programs, job training, schools, and other activities;
WHEREAS, individuals, businesses, local governments, and nonprofit organizations will rely on census data for planning and decision-making;
WHEREAS, the United States Census Bureau will endeavor to count every person in the nation and many states will be initiating programs to promote the census;
WHEREAS, to achieve a complete and accurate census count, Nevada must support efforts to share address and other geographic information with the U.S. Census Bureau and other census partners, work with the U.S. Census Bureau on the recruitment of Nevada Census workers, and implement communication strategies to generally promote the Census and reach hard-to-count populations and hard-to-enumerate areas;
WHEREAS, to achieve a complete and accurate census count, it is important to involve representatives of the private and public sectors, Nevada’s local governments, state agencies, and other important stakeholders; and
WHEREAS, Nevada has a history of successfully promoting and sufficiently funding the census count as evidenced by the 2000 and 2010 Censuses.
NOW, THEREFORE, by the authority vested in me as Governor by the Constitution and laws of the State of Nevada, it is hereby ordered as follows:
SECTION 1: The Nevada Census 2020 Complete Count Committee (“Committee”) for the State of Nevada is established.
SECTION 2: The Committee shall recommend methods and policies to facilitate the most complete and accurate census count in the year 2020, including implementing strategies to reach hard-to-count populations and hard-to-enumerate areas. It shall prepare and adopt a statewide complete count plan (“Complete Count Plan”) on proposed education, outreach, and promotional activities for the state and funding needs to ensure as complete a count as possible of Nevada’s population. It shall coordinate efforts across Nevada’s local governments as well as both public and private sector groups and organizations that can assist in informing their communities of the benefits of responding to the Census.
SECTION 3: The Committee shall be comprised of nine (9) members, unless the Governor otherwise amends the size of the Committee, which he shall have the authority to do during the term of the Committee. Moreover, each member shall be designated by and serve at the pleasure of the Governor. The Governor will appoint a Chair of the Committee. The Committee shall serve without compensation. The membership will include:
- One member who represents the Office of the Governor;
- One member nominated by the Governor who represents communities that have historically hard-to-count populations;
- The Lieutenant Governor;
- The Secretary of State or one member nominated by the Secretary of State from the Office of the Secretary State;
- The Speaker of the Nevada State Assembly or one member nominated by the Speaker of the Nevada State Assembly;
- The Majority Leader of the Nevada State Senate or one member nominated by the Majority Leader of the Nevada State Senate;
- One member nominated collectively by the leaders belonging to the minority parties of the Nevada State Assembly and Nevada State Senate;
- One member nominated by the Nevada Association of Counties; and
- One member nominated by the Nevada League of Cities and Municipalities.
SECTION 4: The Committee, upon adoption of the Complete Count Plan, shall immediately begin the process of recruiting and hiring the Nevada Census 2020 Coordinator (“Coordinator”). The Coordinator will report to the Committee and be responsible for the execution of the Complete Count Plan, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Managing and overseeing the money budgeted for the Complete Count Plan effort to support the 2020 decennial census;
- Implementing the Complete Count Plan adopted by the Committee to ensure a complete and accurate count of the population of this State during the 2020 decennial census;
- Collaborating and coordinating with the Nevada State Demographer, employed pursuant to NRS 360.283, and the Bureau of the Census of the United States Department of Commerce regarding its activities, as determined appropriate by the Chair; and
- Performing such other activities as deemed appropriate by the Committee to ensure a complete and accurate count of the population of Nevada during the 2020 decennial census.
SECTION 5: The Committee shall form subcommittees and/or working groups as deemed necessary.
SECTION 6: The Committee shall be hereby be established to oversee the Nevada Census 2020 Complete Count effort from April 1, 2019 to the end of the Census field operation in August 2020.