CARSON CITY, NV - September 23, 2011
Governor Brian Sandoval announced today his appointments to the Silver State Health Insurance Exchange Board. The Governor has appointed Elsie Lavonne Lewis, Leslie Ann Johnstone, Ronald Kline, MD, Barbara Smith Campbell and Marie Kerr. Each of the Governor’s appointments are voting members of the board.
“While Nevada remains a partner in challenging the constitutionality of the federal health care law, we are mandated to move forward with its implementation,” Governor Sandoval said. “Each member of the board will bring a distinctive perspective to the table to help Nevada formulate the most effective exchange.”
Lewis, of Clark County, will serve until June 30, 2013. Johnstone, also of Clark County, will serve until June 30, 2014. Dr. Ronald Kline of Clark County will serve until June 30, 2012. Smith Campbell, of Washoe County, will serve until June 30, 2014. Marie Kerr, of Washoe County, will serve until June 30, 2012.
Created by Senate Bill 440, the Exchange is required to:
- Create and administer a state-based health insurance exchange;
- Facilitate the purchase and sale of qualified health plans;
- Provide for the establishment of a program to assist qualified small employers in Nevada in facilitating the enrollment of their employees in qualified health plans;
- Make only qualified health plans available to qualified individuals and qualified small employers on or after January 1, 2014; and
- Unless the Federal Act is repealed or is held to be unconstitutional or otherwise invalid or unlawful, perform all duties that are required of the Exchange to implement the requirements of the Federal Act. (The Federal Act being defined as the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, as amended by the federal Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010, and any amendments to, or regulations or guidance issued pursuant to, those acts.)
The Exchange is governed by the Board of Directors, consisting of five voting members appointed by the Governor, one voting member appointed by the Senate Majority Leader and one voting member appointed by the Speaker of the Assembly. The Majority Leader appointed Dr. Judith Ford and the Speaker appointed Lynn Elkins.
Office of the Governor - 101 North Carson Street - Carson City, NV 89701 | (775) 684-5670
Grant Sawyer State Office Building . 555 East Washington, Suite 5100 . Las Vegas, NV 89101 | (702) 486-2500