RENO, NV - December 03, 2010
Governor-elect Brian Sandoval made the following statement today after completing meetings in Washington, D.C.:
"This week was a successful start to building the necessary relationships at the federal level which will help Nevada moving forward. I am excited to return to Nevada and continue working."
This week, Sandoval met with Senator John Ensign, Congressman Dean Heller, and Congresswoman Shelley Berkley. He also attended a series of meetings on topics ranging from education to homeland security, transportation to housing foreclosures.
Sandoval's itinerary included:
- White House security briefing with Home Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates; Sandoval and other new governors also met with President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and Senior Advisor to the President Valerie Jarrett.
- New GOP Governors meeting with Republican House Leader John Boehner.
- Foundation for Excellence in Education Summit -- personal meeting with former Florida Governor Jeb Bush and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan.
- Breakfast with the Canadian Ambassador, Gary Doer & Alberta Representative, Gary Mar.
- Meetings with: Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Shaun Donovan, Deputy Secretary of Transportation John Porcari, and Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar.
Before leaving DC, Sandoval will also meet with former Nevada Senator and Governor Paul Laxalt.
Office of the Governor - 101 North Carson Street - Carson City, NV 89701 | (775) 684-5670
Grant Sawyer State Office Building . 555 East Washington, Suite 5100 . Las Vegas, NV 89101 | (702) 486-2500