CARSON CITY, NV - October 07, 2011
Governor Brian Sandoval today signed an executive order directing the P-16 Advisory Council to review education data systems in Nevada. The council, created by statute, helps coordinate education efforts in Nevada from the preschool through postsecondary levels and has the authority to address the data information system for public school students.
“The education initiatives we accomplished this Legislative session will enhance the quality of instruction and improve student achievement throughout our state,” Governor Sandoval said. “The effective use of high-quality education date is integral to the success of these reforms and establishing an effective education data system requires the cooperation of the executive and legislative branches of government, local school districts, Nevada’s System of Higher Education, educators in classrooms and early childhood care providers. This executive order will assist in the process.”
The Council, consisting of eleven members, includes Bret Whipple, Erin Cranor, Caryn Swobe, Stacy Woodbury, John LaGatta, Senator Joe Hardy, Assemblywoman Lucy Flores, Cedric Crear, Sue Daellenbach, Linda Johnson and Senator Barbara Cegavske.
According to the executive order, the Council’s recommendations shall address the following:
- Establishing a cross-agency governance structure with representatives who have decision-making authority
- Identifying resource needs in the areas of staffing, technology and funding
- Developing policies that outline what data are shared and how; where they will be stored; how often they will be updated; who will conduct analyses; how privacy will be protected, etc.
- Creating a vision for the state’s longitudinal data system to ensure it will support the state’s education and workforce development needs
- Any necessary legislation to carry out the Council’s recommendations.
The order requires quarterly reports on February 1, May 1, August 1 and all work completed by August 1, 2012.
Office of the Governor - 101 North Carson Street - Carson City, NV 89701 | (775) 684-5670
Grant Sawyer State Office Building . 555 East Washington, Suite 5100 . Las Vegas, NV 89101 | (702) 486-2500