Order Continuing the Nevada State Citizen Corps Council
WHEREAS, following the events of September 11, 2001, former President of the United States George W. Bush launched the Citizen Corps under the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) to call upon state and local governments to offer increased opportunities for citizens to become an integral part of homeland security and to assist first responders in an emergency;
WHEREAS, the Nevada State Citizen Corps Council was thereafter established pursuant to an Executive Order issued on February 25, 2009, and later amended pursuant to Executive Order 2011-26 issued on November 28, 2011, to assist in the Citizen Corps effort;
WHEREAS, the threat of terror, crime, natural disaster, and the need for volunteer citizens in the communities throughout the State of Nevada to assist in the effort to protect our homeland and aid first responders in times of emergency remains ever present;
WHEREAS, we must remain vigilant in our efforts to securing our safety, helping each other, and working together as fellow Nevadans and citizens of our nation to prepare for and respond to an emergency and to better secure the health, safety, and welfare of us all; and
WHEREAS, Article 5, Section 1 of the Nevada Constitution provides: "The supreme executive power of this State, shall be vested in a Chief Magistrate who shall be Governor of the State of Nevada."
NOW, THEREFORE, by the authority vested in me as Governor by the Constitution and laws of the State of Nevada and the United States, it is hereby ordered as follows:
- The Nevada State Citizen Corps Council shall continue to serve homeland security and emergency preparedness efforts in Nevada by:
- Coordinating the volunteer outreach efforts and support for the Citizen Corps that are locally-established throughout Nevada;
- Identifying opportunities for local, state, tribal, and federal organizations to collaborate and promote the mission and objectives of the Citizens Corps in Nevada; and
- Engaging in discussions regarding the best practices to continue developing and advancing the mission and objectives of the Citizen Corp throughout Nevada and across the nation.
- The Nevada Division of Emergency Management (DEM) within the Nevada Department of Public Safety shall provide administrative support to the Council.
- The Chief of DEM shall serve as the Chair of the Council and shall also serve as the State Coordinator and liaison with FEMA on Council matters.
- Members of the Council shall be appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the Chief of DEM and shall consist of no more than twenty-five (25) voting members.
- Members of the Council shall receive no compensation for their service.
- The Council shall deliver a report to the Governor on or before December 31 each year detailing its activities.
- The Council may establish and/or amend procedural bylaws to aid it in the performance of its duties.
- The Council shall meet at the discretion and direction of the Chief of DEM.
- The Council's meetings shall be conducted in accordance with the Open Meeting Law pursuant to Nevada Revised Statute Chapter 241, and all records documenting the Council's activities shall be retained and transferred to the State Archives for retention in accordance with the State record retention policy.
- The Council shall cease to exist on December 31, 2018.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of Nevada to be affixed at the State Capitol in Carson City, this
in the year two thousand